Lou Piniella to Retire as Chicago Cubs Manager

Chicago Cubs, Lou Piniella, today announced he will retire after finishing this season. Piniella, 66, comes out with a tremendous race, with five World Series and three championship rings. Now out of baseball are going to focus on his family.

Piniella issued a statement which reads as follows:

"I could not be more grateful for the Cubs organization for giving me the opportunity to manage this team," Piniella said. "I had four wonderful years here that I would not trade for anything. I have come to love the city and fans, but at my age (67 at the end of the season) will be the time to enter a new phase in my life . I will spend more quality time with my family - my wife, my children and my grandchildren. God has blessed me to be able to work many years in this game that I love.

"Why make this announcement now? Jim Hendry asked me in recent weeks regarding my future with the team and I told him I had decided to retire at the end of the season. Since my decision has been made, no want to mislead anyone about my intentions when asked in the future.

"But most importantly, to announce my decision now is the best for this organization over the long term. Da Jim Hendry time to find the next director and he does not have to do it in secret. The Cubs are one of the largest organizations baseball. I care a lot for this organization and want nothing more than to actual experience and long-term success. I am proud of our achievements during my time here and this will be a perfect way for me to end my career.

"But let me make one thing perfectly clear: our work is far from over. I want to keep the momentum, more than anything and win as many games as we can to get back in the pennant race. I will give everything possible that I have help this team win and that will remain my sole focus for the rest of the season. "

These past years have been difficult for Lou and the Cubs. Among candidates rumored to be around Piniella's successor is Ryne Sandberg.

Share/Bookmark

0 评论:

Related Posts with Thumbnails